Tuesday, August 31, 2010

the WeeKenDer BaG

Let me just say that I love Amy Butler. I love her fabrics, I sometimes go to a local fabric store just to stare at her fabrics. One thing you will begin to notice with me is that I love floral patterns, and Amy has a lot of them. I saw Amy's Dream Traveler bag and again, instantly wanted to buy a pattern and make one myself. I was slightly disappointed when I realized that she does not sell the pattern, but must pay for the bag. Being a social worker, I was not able to afford the bag I really wanted. So again, I decided to take matters into my own hands.

It was at this point I decided to create a Weekend Bag. I started by figuring out the dimensions I wanted and then created my own pattern. I did modify the dimensions as I went along, realizing my first ones were way too big. So unfortunately I can't tell you exactly what they are. I bought a heavy canvas for the exterior and just a cotton fabric for the lining. I will say that it was easier than I expected, but I did run into some difficulties as this was only about the 7th thing I've ever made. On the inside I put a couple zipper pockets, thanks to Sew Mama Sew's tutorial. I use Sew Mama Sew a lot, she has great tutorials and she has the ability to make thing easy to follow. Love her! The most difficult part was figuring out how to actually sew it all together. I also really wanted to put a plastic insert in the bottom to create stability, but had trouble finding something. When I make this bag again, I would like to make my handles longer, a couple pockets on the outside with zipper closure, and a find a plastic insert for the bottom. If you know where I may find plastic inserts, please let me know :) Anyways, this bag is probably the one I am most proud of, am I allowed to say that? I think I would like to make some matching bags to use on one of my many weekend-get-aways from the desert :)


No comments:

Post a Comment