Monday, December 6, 2010

ChRisTmAS WrEaTH

As I strolled around JoAnn Fabrics, I saw a free craft idea that I just had to complete. So I decided to use my 2 days off from work over Thanksgiving to complete this craft. A wreath made from felt, I figured it would be done in a jiffy, was I wrong. To begin, I had to buy the needed supplies. I bought 4 different shades of green, cutting each felt square into 4, 2" strips. Then after re-reading the directions, I was only suppose to have 3 different shades of green, so needless to say, I had more than enough strips of felt. Along with 10 strips of red felt.

I rolled 104 strips. First, folding the strips in half lengthwise, then hand stitched the bottom of each one to keep it from unraveling. 

As you can see in the background, the base of the wreath. Due to having a plethora of strips, I covered the white styrofoam craft wreath so it would not show underneath. I am very glad I did that, since the rolled pieces do not go all the way around the wreath.

In the directions it stated to use floral pins, which I ignored, only to find out that each piece of felt is held onto the wreath with the pin. However, I decided to do things a little differently. I hot glue gunned each piece to the wreath and then to each other. I think in the long run, the pieces will be less likely to fall off and it made it very sturdy. 

I am very pleased with the final project. The little dots inside the felt are dots of puff paint (that is where the floral pins would have been). It is very light and adds a little something extra to the holiday wreath. I encourage everyone to make one too. It took probably close to 4-5 hours to complete. The cutting, rolling, and hand stitching gets very tedious, but worth it :) 

1 comment:

  1. It looks great hanging in Mom and Dad's front door. :)

    ReplyDelete